Garry Dobson APM
Assistant Commissioner NSW Police Force (retired)
Master of Management
Bachelor of Business (Management and Economics)
Fellow of the Australasian Institute of Policing
Garry was a serving member of the New South Wales Police Force for thirty-three years, holding senior and executive level positions in both operational and corporate areas for more than ten. Garry held the senior rank of Assistant Commissioner for eight years, during which time he had accountability for:
- major event and public security planning and execution
- large-scale strategic and tactical planning
- management of comprehensive education and training to the Force’s 19,000 employees
- command and control of sizable geographic and complex policing areas and regions covering the full scope of general duties and criminal investigation
- fiscal, resource and major project management covering myriad operational and specialist policing functions and corporate services
Garry was also seconded to the strategic New South Wales Government position of Director of Crime Prevention, located in the Department of Premier and Cabinet.
Garry has a deep and practical experience as a police educator. He was Commander of the NSW Police College for three years, responsible for ensuring the integrity, relevance and quality of education and training for all staff from recruitment level through to executive appointment. Garry also assumed overall responsibility for Police College facilities, staff, students and visitors, including oversight of the 650-room accommodation facility. During this time, Garry led the establishment of a new College in Sydney for record numbers (2,000) of recruits, and also gained approval and funding for a new educational complex for existing personnel to deliver all educational and development programs.
Garry fostered a Leadership Development Program for senior officers to ensure the availability of high quality candidates for senior appointments within the NSW Police Force and to strengthen supervision, management and leadership capabilities across the organisation.
Garry has extensive experience as lecturer, course developer and curriculum designer at the post-graduate level, gained through many years working as the convenor of a number of policing oriented programs at an Australian University..